Friday 12 December 2014

Tehran , The Leviathan !


Sometimes you cannot help but to think of Tehran as a gigantic, ugly, scary pandemonium, a colossal sluggish monster that is always rumbling
in the background of almost everything and I mean it ‘’everything’’ and you just cannot shut it up, not even for a fleeting flash of time.
For me it is not just one monster, two actually! It is both Leviathan and Behemoth, mingling constantly in a grating cacophony of jarring
noises, jumbled cries and unfortunate rhythms. As it is always fascinating to face your fears, therefore as an act of heroism I went on a quixotic quest to listen to the beats, a ‘’recording journey’’ if you will to the nooks and crannies of the city to log whatever I hear.
However, this time was a little different, as it was not just ‘’field-recording’’ but I decided to mock the beasts and punctuate the howl, yowl and growl of the city by the serenity of some music. In an attempt to accent the dichotomy of what I am actually hearing and what I would probably like to hear, I am trying to illustrate the delirious, almost schizophrenic, effects that urban spaces have on us.
At one side there is the city with all its ‘’unforgiving stridency’’ and at the other side the counteracting reaction of our mind desperately trying not to give up. The result is a delusional combination of placidity and clamor.

No comments:

Post a Comment