Friday 12 December 2014

Arrhythmic

It is hard to imagine how we sound when we are asleep and I have been always interested in hearing myself sleeping, so I decided to record myself while I am at sleep and see what kind of world, as far as the audible components of a world are concerned, our slumbered bodies and somnolent minds have to endure. I set up my recording device and tried to go to sleep, naturally it took me more than usual to fall sleep as my mind was fully aware. All the time that I was trying to put my mind to sleep and tricking it into believing that this is just another mundane night, was itself in a way part of the process of sleeping. I think that is the conscious part and the actual sleeping is the unconscious part of sleeping. I recorded everything from the moment that I went to bed until the time that I was awake and gotten out of the bed.

In the morning to my great surprise when I listened to the recorded voices of my last night sleep I realized that when we are sound asleep it is usually not as quite as we might believe! The problem wasn’t so much of my snoring or any other sounds generated by me, but the voices of the city again! I was surprised to find that the city is apparently awake and roaring all through the night as we are taking our vacations form our cramped and dingy corners of our realities.  All night long, it was the never-ending procession of sounds of the different vehicles whizzing by my window. The even bigger surprise is that my window opens to a lonely and almost abandoned back alley and not a chock-full superhighway. I am not sure if I was actually able to record any moment of silence that night or better say I’m not sure if I be able to record any moment of silence at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment