Friday 26 December 2014

The Locker

We have our ears with us everywhere we go; we can use them to enjoy some sounds, train them to amplify their sensibility to certain kinds of sounds and even clog them to avoid listening to yet other kinds of sounds, but we cannot leave them behind and go on with our lives! They are an essential part of our privacy. Our private sphere includes among other things the spatial ambience that within it our ears are most sensible and susceptible to surrounding sounds and voices.  But what if we could expand the ambit of our audio-privacy by actually leaving our ears behind whenever we wish! This is the central theme for this particular work.
It is very hard, at least for me, not to get a little bit sci-fi when considering the possibility of actually being able to unburden yourself of one of your senses. Having this thought in mind I headed over to a women’s fitness club to test and see what it feels like to have such a power, if not a superpower. Honestly I have never been very fond of fitness clubs for the sole fact that you are usually to go through an unfair musical torture and listen to hours of unceasing, ludicrously up-beat music, while your only sin is that you just wanted to stay healthy and in shape.

Therefore, as I enter the club I proceed with my usual steps; first I change into my work-out cloths and then put all my other belongings in my locker, but with just one difference. I also place a recording device into my locker. The recording device here is supposed to play the role of my ears. It is as if I have the power to shake off my sense of hearing by leaving my ears behind with my other belongings in the locker, because I find the music in the club aggressive and a violation of my audio-privacy so I decide not to listen to it. Then in this work you would hear the voices that an emancipated ear would have heard, had I had the power to free myself of my ears!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/niloufar-e/the-locker

No comments:

Post a Comment